Cpanel migration of a addon domain

Brooke Lustig

Hi I'm interested in getting the vps hosting with you guys just have a question regarding migration, my site is a addon domain with another host using cpanel, will the fact the site I wish to migrate is a addon domain complicate the migration process or is it easily handled by you guys?

@Brooke Lustig,

Generally what we'll do in this case is go ahead and move the entire cPanel account and you only have to move DNS for what you want and you can delete what's not needed on the account.

Moving an addon domain must be done manually which adds a lot of variables into play which are normally handled by the cPanel migration which is why we do the cPanel account migration.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the answer! The only thing holding me back right now is that i'm worried about the migration process. After moving the whole cpanel, will the old cpanel and sites still be active in my old hosting? ( I have some sites there that I still want active). Also another question I have is will my old primary domain in cpanel still be the primary domain when moving the cpanel to knownhost? Or can I change the primary domain to be the addon domain that I want to host with you guys? Thanks for the help.

@Brooke Lustig,

All of your websites would remain on the old server, and the only ones that would be served from the new server would be the ones that you update nameservers for. There'd be a copy of the site data on both servers, but you could remove the unwanted content from the new server.

Once this unwanted content is removed, it's possible to change the primary domain of the hosting account to the addon domain if you wish.

Hi Jonathan, one last question, I'm at the knownhost order wizard and I submitted my addon domain as the domain for the order. I noticed on the order form that it puts that domain as the primary domain for my account..is that fine? Or should I change it to the primary domain at my old cpanel to avoid complications..sorry for the questions first time I'm moving a site.

Last edited:
Hi Jonathan, one last question, I'm at the knownhost order wizard and I submitted my addon domain as the domain for the order. I noticed on the order form that it puts that domain as the primary domain for my account..is that fine? Or should I change it to the primary domain at my old cpanel to avoid complications..sorry for the questions first time I'm moving a site.

Yes, this is fine to use the primary domain. Your VPS would be deployed as host.yourdomain.com so it won't interfere with the actual operation of your domain name.

You can also leave the old domain as-is on your existing cPanel until the transfer has been completed.