Import/Export e-mail accounts

quantumottle

In the past, I've had the option to both import or export e-mail accounts via cPanel. Here at KnownHost, I see the option to Export is not there, I only see Import. Is there a setting I can edit to enable the ability to export my e-mail accounts via cPanel or is that not permitted at KnownHost?

Our forums are not our official channel for support. If you need a question answered, email support@knownhost.com or login to your support account at support.knownhost.com / my.knownhost.com

The horde email client has an easy export and import feature, which may be what you're thinking of, but you would need to first install it as, at least in my case, it doesn't come with the initial setup. May take a long time and may even fail if you have too many emails. RoundCube has an export feature but only one email at a time (dumb) and the import feature is likely useless to your needs. SquirrelMail doesn't have any export/import feature at all. Alternatively, you can download the contents of the email folders in the account's home directory, but some additional steps are needed if you're moving them to a different account. If you just want a backup I'd recommend just backing up the entire Home Directory using cPanel's Backup. If you're migrating to another server use the "Copy an Account From Another Server" tool in WHM.

If none of this helps you please let us know a little more of what you want to accomplish.

Thanks for the reply. I was actually trying to import / export all the e-mail addresses and forwarders set up in cPanel to another cPanel installation. On my KnownHost cPanel the "EXPORT" feature is missing, only the IMPORT is visible. I'm not transferring all the e-mail messages, just the actual accounts that would be listed in cPanel.

If you're referring to the Address Importer, that's just a tool so you can create multiple email accounts quickly and easily using a csv file. I've never heard of there being an export option that creates that same csv file from a list of current accounts as that would mean passwords would need to be stored in plain text to be exported, insecure.

Email forwarders is cake, that's available as a backup option in cPanel's Backup section, near the bottom. Of course you would first need those email accounts created on the other web account before recovering them.

Sounds like you want to move the email accounts so they maintain their current passwords, is that right? If yes, are you migrating the same domain to a new server? or are you creating a new account with a different domain?

If keeping the current password is not important I have a slick and somewhat quick/easy way to create all the same accounts with new passwords, let me know.

I appreciate your offer to help phpAddict, I got it figured out though. My Site5 and SiteGround accounts both have the export option in cPanel, KnownHost doesn't though. I'm not saying it's KnownHost fault, it may very well be a setting I edited somewhere along the way. Thanks agin.

Interesting. Would you mind uploading a screenshot? I wasn't ever aware if such a feature in cPanel and would like to know what I'm missing.
Thanks

I appreciate your offer to help phpAddict, I got it figured out though. My Site5 and SiteGround accounts both have the export option in cPanel, KnownHost doesn't though. I'm not saying it's KnownHost fault, it may very well be a setting I edited somewhere along the way. Thanks agin.

I'm not saying this is the case, but there are plenty of plugins/addons (Free and paid) for cpanel that a shared hosting somewhere else may have, and you may not found with a default cpanel install.